22 Nov 2014

My walk to class

So I have been doing my Arabic classes for nearly two weeks now. Progress is slow to say the least, but I enjoy them immensely. I decided to have classes with CCCL from recommendations or friends, fellow ex pats and also due to the general vibe from the website and email communications. It was the best decision ever. Although I ended up in a class on my own as the others who had signed up were no longer able to attend it was kind of a blessing in disguise as I think this way I am sure to be learning the basics correctly with the undivided attention of the teacher.

I have found it hard to adjust to one-to-one learning and often find myself the source of my own distractions. However the teacher is patient with me and I am able to be honest about my frustrations which are becoming fewer as I adopt the view of - it's not about perfection but trying to gain a general understanding.

I have to walk about 20-40 minutes to class each day. The extra 20 minutes depend on how much I gaze around as I walk. It is a beautiful walk and I really like taking a look around. One day I decided to take photos of all the beautiful things I saw. These are quite superficial things, which aren't hard to pick out. Hopefully one day I can take lots of pictures of all the hidden gems on my way home.

I used to walk to class and back via the riverside, there are generally less people here and it is nice and calm to walk back this way. Sometimes I stop off and get a juice, looking out at Salé whilst I drink. Salé is the smaller city, adjoining Rabat, across the river. The white buildings are all new developments. I like how the boats are brightly painted, as they are in Malta and Senegal too. I took a picture of the stop sign because in class I was taught the word for stop in reverse means to sleep. At least I hope I remembered that right - I will try and remember to confirm this :-)






When I told the girls who I live with, and my friends about how long it was taking me to get to class they were astonished, and after taking various different routes I have found that it is quicker to walk down my street towards the centre of town and then take the main road down towards the Mdina. This means I walk past different things. Below is a picture of the Mohammad V theatre. There will be more about this place in another post.


This is the square by Bab el Had. Bab was one of the first words I learnt in Arabic and means door. There are always people busy getting to work in the morning when I walk to class. However my path also crosses people contemplating, selling things like tissues and toothpicks. I even came across a traditional water seller in this square once, he carries around water in a pouch made from the stomach of a camel I hear.


These palm trees are my que that I am nearly at the Marassa district, where my classes take place in an annex of CCCL. Coincidentally the main CCCL building is actually opposite the Riad where N and I stayed on my first ever visit to Rabat. I love the blue skies here, it is a beautiful city.


No comments:

Post a Comment