15 Nov 2014

Moving to Morocco

Over the past few months people often asked "Why do you want to move to Morocco?" and I tell them I have no idea. It's the truth, I'm not sure what happened this year but apart from spending all the time I could I fell in love with a country. It's the first time that this has happened to me. I have travelled lots and enjoy exploring new things, especially when they are exotic (by this I mean unknown to me) but I have never had a country or it's people get so firmly under my skin.

I have been lucky enough to enjoy short weekends in a few Moroccan cities of the past year but the one where I felt the most comfortable and at home in was Rabat. I'm not sure that the weather has anything to do with it. It is undeniable that I love the sun and Morocco has a lot of it! However I have also experienced the rain and grey skies here and still love it. This is a picture I took at the Jardin Majorelle in Marrakesh.


Any way, despite the feeling that I want to spend more time in this country I have decided not to jump in with both feet at once. I will go for increasingly longer periods of time so that I can learn more about the country, the way things work and to see if I really do think that this is somewhere I could live for an extended period of time.

My first adventure will be a month at the end of the year, where I will take Arabic classes. I figure if I am going to live in a country I should at least make some effort to learn the language.....so that what I'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment